The story of Presidents’ Day date begins over 200 years ago. Following President George Washington’s death in 1799, his February 22 birthday became an annual day of remembrance. While Washington’s Birthday was an unofficial holiday for most of the 1800s, it was not until the late 1870s that it became a federal holiday when in 1879 President Hayes signed it into law.
While Lincoln and Washington remain the two most recognized leaders, Presidents’ Day is now popularly seen as a day to recognize the lives and achievements of all the Presidents of America, past and present.
Take a look at the presidential quotes below and we hope they will inspire you today and throughout the year!
1. Believe you can and you’re halfway there.
– Theodore Roosevelt
2. Unless both sides win, no agreement can be permanent.
– Jimmy Carter
3. When written in Chinese, the word “crisis” is composed of two characters.
One represents danger and the other represents opportunity.
– John F. Kennedy
4. You don’t lead by hitting people over the head – that’s assault, not leadership.
– Dwight D. Eisenhower
5. I’m a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
– Thomas Jefferson
6. To reach a port, we must sail – sail, not tie at anchor – sail, not drift.
– Franklin D. Roosevelt
7. If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six hours sharpening my ax.
– Abraham Lincoln